Nominate an essential healthcare worker and celebrate 40 years of MileagePlus
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. The MileagePlus® 40th Anniversary Contest (“Contest”) begins on or about 12:01 a.m. Central Time (“CT”) May 3, 2021 and ends at 11:59 p.m. CT May 17, 2021 (“Contest Period”). In this Contest, a nominator (“Nominator”) will submit a nomination (“Nomination”) on behalf of a nominee (“Nominee”) who works as an Essential Healthcare Worker (defined below). Contest intended for viewing and participation only within the 50 United States and the District of Columbia and will be governed solely by U.S. law. Do not proceed in the Contest Website (defined below) if you are not a legal resident of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia at the time you submit a Nomination.
To be eligible, a Nominator must be a legal resident of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia at least 18 years of age or the age of majority in their state of residence (whichever is greater) at time of submitting a Nomination. To be eligible, a Nominee must be a legal resident of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia at least 18 years of age or the age of majority in their state of residence (whichever is greater) at time of nomination and an Essential Healthcare Worker as defined below. Employees, officers, directors and agents of United Airlines, Inc. (“Sponsor”), any of its subsidiaries; affiliates; media partners; printers; advertising agencies, and promotion agencies; their respective parent, subsidiary and affiliated companies (the foregoing together with Sponsor the “Contest Entities”); and those individuals’ immediate family members (including spouse, mother, father, sister, brother and children and spouse of any of the foregoing) and those living in the same household of each (people who have shared the same residence at least three months over a period of one year prior to the start of the Contest Period) are eligible to participate as a Nominator but are not eligible to participate as a Nominee.. Government employees who win a prize may be subject to ethics and gift rules of their jurisdiction. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
HOW TO SUBMIT A NOMINATION:
During the Contest Period, visit www.unitedessentialthanks.com (“Contest Website”) to nominate yourself (if you are an Essential Healthcare Worker) or nominate another Essential Healthcare Worker. If you are nominating yourself (in which case you will be both Nominator and Nominee), enter your email address and select the Nominate Myself button and complete the registration form with your MileagePlus account number (optional), name, address, city, state, ZIP code, date of birth, phone number, and your role/title as an Essential Healthcare Worker. If you are nominating someone else, enter your email address and select the Nominate Someone Else button and complete the registration form with your MileagePlus account number (optional), name, address, city, state, ZIP code, date of birth, phone number, and your Nominee’s email address, first name, last name, and role/title as an Essential Healthcare Worker. You must also submit an essay telling us why your Nominee (whether you are nominating yourself or someone else) deserves recognition (the “Essay”), agree to the Official Rules, and click “submit.”
By submitting a Nomination, Nominator confirms that the Nominee is at least 18 years old or the age of majority in their state of residency and that the Nominator has Nominee’s permission to nominate them in this Contest. Essays must be 150 words or less. Nominators may also submit a photo of the nominee (.jpg, or .png file formatonly, not larger than 5MB) (“Photo”). The Photo is optional and will not be considered in the judging process. Together, the Essay and, if applicable, Photo will be deemed the “Submission.”
All Essays submitted must be truthful and must be in English. Each Submission must be the original creation of the Nominator or, in the case of a Photo, be a work the Nominator has the exclusive right to submit in this Contest, cannot have been previously published in any medium or submitted in any other competition or contest, and must be in compliance with the terms and conditions on the Contest Website. Essays deemed obscene and/or deemed to disparage the Sponsor will be disqualified. The Submission must not depict any recognizable person other than the Nominee or Nominator. The Submission must not: disparage any person, Sponsor and/or any of its affiliates’ products, competitors, or any of the entities affiliated with sponsoring, promoting or administering this Contest, or other companies; violate or infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks or privacy, property, publicity or other intellectual property rights of any person or entity; contain content, music, public art or architecture, images or artwork not created by Nominator; appear to intentionally duplicate any other submitted Nominations; contain material that is inappropriate, profane, indecent, hateful, lewd, pornographic, obscene, tortious, defamatory, slanderous, libelous or harassing; promote bigotry, racism, sexism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; promote illegal drugs, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing); depict consumption of alcohol beverages; promote the use of tobacco, including any claims regarding the health or safety of tobacco products; promote any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous; be unlawful, in violation of, or contrary to the laws or regulations in any jurisdiction where the Nomination is created; and/or contain any nudity, sexually explicit, lewd, offensive, disparaging or other inappropriate content;
By submitting a Nomination, Nominator represents and warrants that the Submission complies with the submission requirements set forth above, has not been copied in whole or in part from any other work, has never been previously published or submitted to any other competition or contest, does not violate or infringe any copyright, trademark, or other proprietary rights or privacy right of any person or entity, does not defame any individual or entity, is the exclusive property of the Nominator, and the distribution, reproduction, display and any other uses of any part of the Submission by Sponsor as permitted herein will not infringe any third party rights. Nominators agree to indemnify, defend and hold Sponsor harmless against all liabilities, losses, damages, claims, debts, investigations, fines, penalties, costs, expenses, and settlements (including attorneys' fees and costs of litigation, settlement, judgment, interest, and penalties) arising out of or related to a breach of the foregoing representations and warranties. Sponsor reserves the right to reject any Nomination that, in its sole and absolute discretion, is determined not to meet the above criteria.
By submitting a Nomination, Nominator grants to Sponsor (and to those acting on its behalf) a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, fully sublicensable, and transferable right and license to use, reproduce, distribute, create derivative works based upon (including, without limitation, translations), publicly display, publicly perform, transmit, and publish the Submission (in whole or in part) as Sponsor, in its sole discretion, deems appropriate including, without limitation, (a) in connection with Sponsor’s business; and (b) in connection with the businesses of Sponsor’s successors, parents, subsidiaries, and their related companies. Sponsor may exercise this grant in any format, media or technology now known or later developed for the full term of any copyright that may exist in such Submission. Nominator otherwise will retain all rights in the Submission.
If Sponsor determines, in its sole discretion and at any time during the Contest, that any Nomination violates the submission requirements, is otherwise unsuitable, offensive, or in poor taste, or violates these Official Rules, Sponsor reserves the right to remove and disqualify the Nomination. Sponsor retains sole discretion as to whether any Nomination satisfies the submission requirements and the Official Rules. Limit 20 Nominations per Nominator during the Contest Period, and a Nominee may be nominated by more than one Nominator. All Nominations must be received by 11:59 p.m. CT May 17, 2021. Any attempt by any Nominator to submit more than one Nomination will void such Nominations if discovered by Sponsor, and that Nominator may be disqualified.
JUDGING AND WINNING: All eligible Nominations received during the Contest Period will be judged based on how the Essay demonstrates the Nominee’s attributes with regard to the following criteria: (1) Safe: The Nominee makes the world a safer place for everyone around the Nominee; (2) Caring: The Nominee shows appreciation for all members of the Nominee’s community by being welcoming, kind and compassionate; (3) Dependable: The Nominee is the person you can rely on for anything, big or small; (4) Determined: The Nominee keeps things going even when the going gets tough; and (5) Impact: The Nominee always goes above and beyond to demonstrate the preceding criteria (collectively, the “Judging Criteria”). Each of the five Judging Criteria will be assigned up to 250 points. Round One: During Round One, eligible Nominations will be judged by a panel selected by Sponsor, which may include Sponsor and/or Sponsor representatives based on the Judging Criteria and each Nomination will receive a corresponding score. The 20 Nominations with the highest total scores will proceed to Round Two (“Round Two”) and will be deemed “Semi-Finalists.” If there is a tie for 20th, all of the Nominations tied for 20th will proceed to Round Two. Round Two: During Round Two, Semi-Finalist Nominations will be judged by the Sponsor using the Judging Criteria, and each Nomination will receive a corresponding score (“Round Two Score”). The Nominees named in the Nominations with the four highest Round Two Scores will be designated the Winners (defined below). If there is a tie for the fourth winning position, all tied Nominations will be judged again by the Round Two judges, and the Nomination with the highest score will prevail. No information regarding Nominations or judging, other than as otherwise set forth in these Official Rules, will be disclosed and judges’ and/or Sponsor’s decisions are final.
PRIZES: There are four Grand Prizes. Each Grand Prize is 1,000,000 MileagePlus Miles and $7,750 awarded in the form of a check. Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of each prize: $27,750. Total ARV of all prizes: $111,000. MileagePlus Miles are subject to terms and conditions found at https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/mileageplus/rules.html.
CONDITIONS APPLICABLE TO ALL PRIZES: Prizes will be awarded to the Nominees nominated in the winning Nominations (“Winners”), not to the Nominators who submitted the winning Nominations (unless the Nominator nominated himself or herself). Limit one prize per person. If the actual value of the prize awarded is less than the ARV stated above, Winner will not be entitled to receive any cash or other compensation for such difference between the actual value and the ARV.
Winner is solely responsible for any costs or expenses associated with prize acceptance and use not specified above as part of prize description No costs, fees or expenses are included as part of the prize unless specifically listed herein. Sponsor, at its sole discretion, reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value if a prize becomes unavailable. There will be no prize substitution or cash redemption except as provided herein. Prizes are non-transferable.
All Winners must either a) be an existing MileagePlus Member or b) must join for free at https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mileageplus.html prior to receiving their MileagePlus miles. Miles accrued, awards and benefits issued are subject to change and are subject to the rules of the MileagePlus program, including without limitation the Premier® program (the “MileagePlus Program”), which are expressly incorporated herein. United may change the MileagePlus Program, including but not limited to, rules, regulations, travel awards, and special offers or terminate the MileagePlus Program at any time and without notice. United and its subsidiaries, affiliates and agents are not responsible for any products or services of other participating companies and partners. Taxes and fees related to award travel are the responsibility of the member. Bonus award miles, award miles and any other miles earned through non-flight activity do not count toward qualification for Premier status unless expressly stated otherwise. The accumulation of mileage or Premier status, or any other status, does not entitle members to any vested rights with respect to the MileagePlus Program. All calculations made in connection with the MileagePlus Program, including without limitation with respect to the accumulation of mileage and the satisfaction of the qualification requirements for Premier status, will be made by United Airlines and MileagePlus in their discretion and such calculations will be considered final. Information in this communication that relates to the MileagePlus Program does not purport to be complete or comprehensive, and may not include all of the information that a member may believe is important, and is qualified in its entirety by reference to all of the information on the united.com website and the MileagePlus Program rules. United and MileagePlus are registered service marks. For complete details about the MileagePlus Program, go to https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mileageplus.html.
All properly claimed prizes will be awarded provided a sufficient number of eligible Nominations are received, but in no event will Sponsor award more prizes than are provided for in these Official Rules. Prizes are non-transferable except at Sponsor’s sole discretion. No substitutions or cash redemptions except at Sponsor’s sole discretion, in which case a prize of equal or greater value will be awarded. All federal, state and local taxes, as well as all travel insurance and any other unspecified expenses associated with acceptance or use of prize are the responsibility of the Winners.
CLAIMING PRIZE: Prize claim is subject to verification by the Sponsor. In June of 2021, Sponsor will attempt to notify potential Winners, via phone, email and/or overnight mail using the information provided at the time of Nomination, approximately three business day from the date of winner selection. Winner must complete, sign and return the Affidavit of Eligibility, Waiver of Liability and, except where prohibited by law, Publicity Release Forms and complete and return the Form W-9 within five business days of receipt of prize notification or prize may be forfeited (TN residents need not sign the publicity releases).
Winners will be responsible for all taxes (federal, state and local of all applicable jurisdictions) and all expenses not listed herein related to acceptance and use of any prize. If required by law, an IRS 1099-MISC Form will be prepared in the Winner’s name and submitted to the IRS for the value of the Winner’s prize. Sponsor will cause a copy of any submitted 1099-MISC Form to be sent to Winner’s last known address.
If the potential Winner is not in compliance with these Official Rules or the MileagePlus Program Rules, if prize notification or attempted notification is returned as undeliverable, if Sponsor does not receive timely response to prize notification, if potential Winner refuses to participate in a background check, if the results of the potential Winner’s background check are not acceptable in the sole discretion of the Sponsor, if potential Winner does not provide required identification or documents by the deadlines set by Sponsor, and/or if potential Winner declines prize offered, prize will be forfeited and an alternate Winner may be chosen by Sponsor from among remaining eligible Nominations by applying the criteria set forth above, if time permits. By participating in the Contest, all Nominators and Winners acknowledge compliance with and agree to be bound by these Official Rules, and the decisions of Sponsor and/or judges, which are final in all respects. By accepting a prize in the Contest, you consent to the use of your name, likeness, biographical information and other indicia of your persona by Sponsor for commercial purposes without compensation, except where prohibited by law (TN residents need not consent). Potential Winner must meet all eligibility requirements and comply with these Official Rules to receive prize.
CONDITIONS: All received Nominations (but not the Submissions) become the property of Sponsor and will in no event be acknowledged or returned, and no correspondence will be entered into except as set forth in these Official Rules. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, or misdirected registrations/logins or Nominations, which will be disqualified. If there is a dispute as to who submitted a Nomination, the Nomination will be deemed submitted by the Authorized Account Holder of the email address submitted at the time of Nomination. “Authorized Account Holder” is defined as the natural person assigned to an email address by an internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the email address in question. Persons found tampering (or attempting to tamper) with or abusing any aspect of the Contest, or whom Sponsor believes to be causing malfunction, error, disruption, damage or affecting the proper administration of the Contest, will be disqualified. If a dispute arises regarding compliance with these Official Rules, Sponsor may consider, in its sole discretion, data reasonably available to Sponsor through information technology systems in Sponsor’s control, but Sponsor will not be obligated to consider any data or other information collected from any other source. Contest Entities, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter and their respective parent, subsidiary, affiliated companies, employees, contractors and agents (“Released Entities”) are not responsible for any: (a) telephone, computer, printer, hardware, software or programming malfunctions, or errors or interrupted or unavailable network, server or other connections, network malfunction, or other technical failures or errors, or failure to properly process Nominations; (b) communication disruption or other forces beyond the reasonable control of the Sponsor, including inability to access the Contest, or other disruption related to Internet traffic, virus, bug or non-authorized intervention; (c) damage caused by computer virus or otherwise resulting to any computer from Nominator’s access to the Contest, whether human, mechanical or electronic; or (d) incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by the Contest device or home page, or by any of the programming or equipment associated with or used in the Contest. If, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned by reason of technical issues or failures, including but not limited to corruption of the database of Nominations, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud or any other technical failures which Sponsor deems could corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest (“Disruption”), Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, modify or suspend the Contest, and Winners will be selected as set forth above from among all eligible, non-suspect, non-winning Nominations unaffected by the Disruption and received prior to the action, provided Sponsor is able to do so. Sponsor will post notice of such action on the Contest Website.
LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: BY PARTICIPATING IN THIS CONTEST, NOMINATORS AND WINNERS HEREBY WAIVE AND RELEASE, AND AGREE TO HOLD HARMLESS, THE CONTEST ENTITIES, INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER, FROM AND AGAINST ALL RIGHTS, CLAIMS AND CAUSES OF ACTION WHATSOEVER THAT THEY MAY HAVE, OR THAT MAY ARISE, AGAINST ANY OF THEM FOR ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY MATTER, CAUSE OR THING WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY INJURY, LOSS OR DAMAGE, WHETHER DIRECT, COMPENSATORY, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL, TO PERSON, INCLUDING DEATH, AND/OR PROPERTY, ARISING IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, FROM THEIR ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, USE OR MISUSE OF ANY PRIZE, OR THEIR PARTICIPATION IN THIS CONTEST OR ANY PRIZE-RELATED ACTIVITY.
GOVERNING LAW: ALL ISSUES AND QUESTIONS CONCERNING THE CONSTRUCTION, VALIDITY, INTERPRETATION AND ENFORCEABILITY OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES OR THE RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS OF NOMINATORS OR SPONSOR IN CONNECTION WITH THE CONTEST WILL BE GOVERNED BY AND CONSTRUED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE INTERNAL LAWS OF THE STATE OF ILLINOIS, USA WITHOUT GIVING EFFECT TO ANY CHOICE OF LAW OF CONFLICT OF LAW RULES OR PROVISIONS THAT WOULD CAUSE THE APPLICATION OF ANY OTHER STATE’S LAWS.
DISPUTES: As a condition of submitting a Nomination, Nominators agree (a) under no circumstances will Nominator be permitted to obtain awards for, and Nominator hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental, consequential or any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses; (b) all causes of action arising out of or related to this Contest, or any prize awarded, will be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court in the state of Illinois, to which Nominator submits to personal jurisdiction; and (c) all claims, judgments and award will be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, excluding attorneys' fees and court costs. If there is a discrepancy or inconsistency between disclosures and other statements contained in any Contest materials and the terms and conditions of these Official Rules, these Official Rules will govern. Neither the failure of Sponsor to insist upon or enforce strict performance of any provision of these Official Rules nor the failure, delay, or omission by Sponsor in exercising any right with respect to any term of these Official Rules, will be construed as a waiver or relinquishment to any extent of Sponsor’s right to assert or rely upon any such provision or right in that or any other instance.
WINNERS LIST: For the Winners list, send a self-addressed, stamped, #10 envelope to: 40th Anniversary Winners List; P.O. Box 158, Freeburg, IL 62243-0158. Winners list will be sent when the Contest Period is over, and all properly claimed prizes have been awarded. Requests for Winners list must be received by June 30, 2021.
SPONSOR: United Airlines, Inc., 233 S. Wacker Drive, Chicago, IL 60606.
This Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed, or administered by or associated with Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook.
DEFINITION OF “ESSENTIAL HEALTHCARE WORKER”:
- Workers, including laboratory personnel, that perform critical clinical, biomedical and other research, development, and testing needed for COVID-19 or other
- Healthcare providers including, but not limited to, physicians (MD/DO/DPM); dentists; psychologists; mid- level practitioners; nurses; emergency medical services personnel, assistants and aids; infection control and quality assurance personnel; phlebotomists; pharmacists; physical, respiratory, speech and occupational therapists and assistants; social workers; optometrists; speech pathologists; chiropractors; diagnostic and therapeutic technicians; and radiology
- Workers required for effective clinical, command, infrastructure, support service, administrative, security, and intelligence operations across the direct patient care and full healthcare and public health Personnel examples may include, but are not limited, to accounting, administrative, admitting and discharge, engineering, accrediting, certification, licensing, credentialing, epidemiological, source plasma and blood donation, food service, environmental services, housekeeping, medical records, information technology and operational technology, nutritionists, sanitarians, etc.
- Emergency medical services workers including clinical
- Prehospital workers included but not limited to urgent care
- Inpatient & hospital workers (e.g. hospitals, critical access hospitals, long-term acute care hospitals, long-term care facilities including skilled nursing facilities, inpatient hospice, ambulatory surgical centers, ).
- Outpatient care workers (e.g. end-stage-renal disease practitioners and staff, Federally Qualified Health Centers, Rural Health Clinics, community mental health clinics, organ transplant/procurement centers, and other ambulatory care settings/providers, comprehensive outpatient rehabilitation facilities, ).
- Home care workers (e.g., home health care, at-home hospice, home dialysis, home infusion, ).
- Workers at Long-term care facilities, residential and community-based providers (e.g. Programs of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE), Intermediate Care Facilities for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities, Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facilities, Religious Nonmedical Health Care Institutions, ).
- Workplace safety workers (i.e., workers who anticipate, recognize, evaluate, and control workplace conditions that may cause workers' illness or injury).
- Workers needed to support transportation to and from healthcare facility and provider
- Workers needed to provide laundry services, food services, reprocessing of medical equipment, and waste management for healthcare facilities.
- Workers that manage health plans, billing, and health information and who cannot work
- Workers performing cybersecurity functions at healthcare and public health facilities and who cannot work
- Workers performing security, incident management, and emergency operations functions at or on behalf of healthcare entities including healthcare coalitions, who cannot practically work
- Healthcare vendors and suppliers (e.g. imaging, pharmacy, oxygen services, durable medical equipment, ).
- Workers at manufacturers (including biotechnology companies and those companies that have shifted production to medical supplies), materials and parts suppliers, technicians, logistics and warehouse operators, printers, packagers, distributors of medical products and equipment (including third party logistics providers, and those who test and repair), personal protective equipment (PPE), isolation barriers, medical gases, pharmaceuticals (including materials used in radioactive drugs), dietary supplements, commercial health products, blood and blood products, vaccines, testing materials, laboratory supplies, cleaning, sanitizing, disinfecting or sterilization supplies (including dispensers), sanitary goods, personal care products, pest control products, and tissue and paper towel
- Donors of blood, bone marrow, blood stem cell, or plasma, and the workers of the organizations that operate and manage related
- Pharmacy staff, including workers necessary to maintain uninterrupted prescription, and other workers for pharmacy
- Workers and materials (e.g., laboratory supplies) needed to conduct bloodspot and point of care (i.e., hearing and critical congenital heart disease) newborn screening as well as workers and materials need for confirmatory diagnostic testing and initiation of
- Home health workers (e.g., nursing, respiratory therapists, health aides) who enter the need to go into the homes of individuals with chronic, complex conditions and/or disabilities to deliver nursing and/or daily living
- Workers in retail facilities specializing in medical good and
- Public health and environmental health workers, such as:
- Workers specializing in environmental health that focus on implementing environmental controls, sanitary and infection control interventions, healthcare facility safety and emergency preparedness planning, engineered work practices, and developing guidance and protocols for appropriate PPE to prevent COVID-19 disease
- Public health/community health workers (including call center workers) who conduct community- based public health functions, conducting epidemiologic surveillance and compiling, analyzing, and communicating public health information, who cannot work
- Human services providers, especially for at risk populations such as:
- Home delivered meal providers for older adults, people with disabilities, and others with chronic health
- Home-maker services for frail, homebound, older
- Personal assistance services providers to support activities of daily living for older adults, people with disabilities, and others with chronic health conditions who live independently in the community with supports and
- Home health providers who deliver health care services for older adults, people with disabilities, and others with chronic health conditions who live independently in the community with supports and
- Workers who provide human services, including but not limited to social workers, nutritionists, case managers or case workers, crisis counselors, foster care case managers, adult protective services personnel, child protective personnel, domestic violence counselors, human trafficking prevention and recovery personnel, behavior specialists, substance abuse-related counselors, and peer support
- Government entities, and contractors that work in support of local, state, federal, tribal, and territorial public health and medical mission sets, including but not limited to supporting access to healthcare and associated payment functions, conducting public health functions, providing medical care, supporting emergency management, or other services necessary for supporting the COVID-19
- Workers for providers and services supporting effective
- Mortuary service providers, such as:
- Workers performing mortuary funeral, cremation, burial, cemetery, and related services, including funeral homes, crematoriums, cemetery workers, and coffin
- Workers who coordinate with other organizations to ensure the proper recovery, handling, identification, transportation, tracking, storage, and disposal of human remains and personal effects; certify cause of death; and facilitate access to mental and behavioral health services to the family members, responders, and survivors of an incident.